[INTERVIEW] MINZY’s 1st Look Interview, “REASONABLE ARTIST”!




We always thought she (Minzy) was only good at singing and dancing. But judging from the artwork she randomly draws and scribbles during her alone-time, you can tell she has extraordinary artistic dexterity. We also thought that the only genre of music she would ever know and love was Hip-Hop, but she has recently been falling into the sounds of Rock and Roll as well. Now we know the exact reason why 2NE1 is called a group of “artists”. But out of the four members, Minzy’s cultural sensibility is even more than what we expected… and so are the artworks she has drawn herself with her favorites musicians as motives.

RADIOHEAD
While working as 2NE1, I really enjoy listening to Hip-Hop often. But I also really enjoy listening to the sounds of Rock. And of all the Rock music I listen to, RADIOHEAD is a group that no one can replace in my heart. They are also a group of musicians who are so great that I could never forget to include in my playlists. I’m disappointed that I will not be able to attend the Jisan Valley Rock Festival, in which I chose Radiohead as my #1 priority to see, because it overlaps with our 2NE1 concert. If only I had the time, I would definitely go…. there will come a day when I’ll be able to watch Radiohead live with my own eyes, right?


MICHAEL JACKSON 
Michael Jackson is the world’s greatest artist that everyone respects. Even his greatest classics, gestures, and strong sense of fashion are well-respected. I bet there isn’t a single person who hasn’t attempted the moonwalk as a child. Especially the scene in his “Smooth Criminal” music video where he looks like he’s about to fall over, I think I watched that part over 100 times in one sitting. When it comes to Michael Jackson music videos, I’ve watched every single one of them so many times to the point I’ve memorized them all. He is an artist that has given me an enormous amount of influence with his many dances. I remember crying a lot while watching the scene in his movie where he dances to Billy Jean for the last time before his death. I think I might listen and dance to Michael Jackson even when I become a grandmother.


NIRVANA
When I listen to the guitar riff that comes out in the beginning of Nirvana’s ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’, I feel like my heart is going to explode. I also think there is a strong spell that cannot be forgotten when listening to Kurt Cobain’s voice in their classic ‘Come As You Are’. I became a fan the very moment I first listened to Nirvana’s music. From records to DVDs, I have collected everything related to Nirvana. And I’ll say this for future reference, my ideal man is Kurt Cobain. How great would it have been if Nirvana still performed until this very day and had a world tour? I know for sure that I would have followed them around, like a groupie, to every nook and cranny of the world just to hear them live.


ROLLING STONES
Rolling Stones is practically another word for “Rock N Roll” and also the #1 musician of my life. I have drawn several pictures using lips and mouths as a motive in the past, and I think it’s safe to say that I was greatly influenced by the witty Rolling Stones tongue symbol. I know they are a group that came into being way before I was even born, but Mick Jagger was extremely charismatic and charming when he was young. Even his unique and famous groove moves were impressive. If you watch the DVD of the Rolling Stones’ commemorative concert for Brian Jones at Hyde Park in 1969, you’ll be able to see and realize just how explosive and popular they were back then. It’s one of the few DVDs I cherish the most because it perfectly captures the Rolling Stones members, their hundreds and thousands of fans, and also the fashion trend back in 1969.

==========
Q: Have you been learning and receiving art lessons since the past?
A: Ever since I was little, I attended an art center similar to a daycare for kids. Thanks to those art lessons, I hadn’t forgotten about or let go of art, even up until I reached middle school and high school. However, I am only enjoying art and drawing as a hobby because I still think music is the more suitable path for me.


Q: I think you are good enough to become an illustrator in the future.
A: I really like rock bands, especially the Rolling Stones. And I also love Andy Worhol’s Marilyn Monroe print. So by combining the two, I would often get inspired to draw Marilyn Monroe’s beauty mark (mole) to my Rolling Stones-inspired lip drawings. Whenever I’m feeling tired or getting stressed, I like to cram myself into my room and just draw. That eventually helps release all the stress away.


Q: When people think of 2NE1, the first thing that pops into their mind is a hip-hop genre based group. But surprisingly, you have more of a rock-spirit than the others. Are there any musicians you are inspired by on a daily basis?
A: I love hip-hop, of course. But I have recently been focusing on rock sounds more. I like the Rolling Stones, Nirvana, and Guns N’ Roses a lot. I’m sad because I wasn’t able to go to a Lenny Kravitz concert when he visited Korea not long ago because I had other schedules to attend. I also want to go see Radiohead at the upcoming Jisan Valley Rock Restival, but I’m disappointed that I’m not going to be able to go because it overlaps with our concert.


Q: Aside from music, what are some other cultural aspects have you been fixiated on?
A: I’ve been falling deeply for the fun in reading lately. I recently read Guillaume Musso’s in no time because I couldn’t stop reading it; it was that good.


Q: I also heard you really enjoy movies.
A: I was so intrigued by that I rewatched it over 300 times. Whether it be artistic value, literary value, or mass appeal, there isn’t a single thing about that I would criticize. I think it’s the greatest movie that has ever captured an extreme measure. The scene that leaves the greatest impression is when the flowers are planted and Sting’s ‘Shape of My Heart’ begins to play in the background; I cried so much at this scene. It was so sad. My heart hurt so much. I cried so much as if I had become Matilda (character in the movie) myself and everyone seemed surprised.


Q: Do you usually watch a movie by engaging your full emotions?
A: I don’t really have many tears, nor do I cry often. I watched with Bom and she sat beside me bawling the whole time. I kept thinking to myself ‘why is she crying?’ and felt completely fine throughout the whole movie. That’s why the people around me kept teasing, “You’re so cold-blooded.” But I cry every time I watch .


Q: I recently watched and cried because I was so absorbed in the science fiction….
A: Oh, then have you seen ? Isn’t it really fun? I feel like we have similar taste.


Q: Then what other social activities do you often enjoy?
A: I usually watch movies all the time. There was a time when I didn’t have any schedules, so I practically lived at the movie theater for a whole week.


Q: Ultimately, what kind of artist do you aim to become?
A: I want be an entertainer that doesn’t just work in one specific field, but a variety of things. If I become an artist that influences people in many different directions and aspects, I think I would be satisfied for having achieved my biggest goal. I will not be picky about any genre. I want to become an artist that only receives love and credit though music and not through art, movies, or acting.



Source: 1st Look
Translations: swaggalevel-1000.tumblr.com

Source : dkpopnews[dot]net

No comments:

Post a Comment