Paid internship ethical or not?

That internship plays an important role in getting a job is known to everyone. But what's new is that students are now paying money to companies to get a first-hand job experience.

 

And those who just want an experience certificate without having to slog, are paying the organisations a sum to get a recommendation letter that they can show during placement interviews.

Paid internship ethical or not?

Paid internship ethical or not?

The era when students used to work hard in companies for an experience certificate is clearly ending. Now, both students and companies have adopted a professional approach, as students are willingly spending a few thousands to be on board a company that teaches them basic work skills for a fee anywhere between `4,000-`6,000.

One might argue the validity of paid internships and whether it serves the right purpose. But organisations say that they put in their time and energy to train a rookie, so the money they charge for it is minimal. According to firms, students are provided with expert guidance and helped with their preparation for placement interviews. For that, charging a basic fee should not be considered unethical. While most students agree to this, there are also some who say that paid internships don't help and it's only a money-making gimmick by companies.

We invest our time and energy, charging a fee is necessary:

 

Organizations

 

Representatives of various government and private sector organisations that provide paid internship say that the fee for students is nominal. Says Ramanathan, additional general manager at BHEL (Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited), Bhopal, "Students are given a training program that lasts for three-four weeks. They are trained in design methodologies, exposure procedure, etc, and the students are charged `500 per week. We give them a certificate at the end of the course. We usually don't give them any live project and they don't contribute to the firm's revenue, so we don't give them stipend. We have to put in a lot of time in training them, and we give them expert guidance that they probably don't get at their colleges. So, it becomes essential for us to charge them a fee."

A thought seconded by GC Pandey, general manager at BSNL, who adds, "We provide a vocational training course to engineering students. They come to us to gain hands-on experience, and we charge them between `6,500-`7,500 for a program that runs for two to four weeks. This program was launched two years back and we run it between April to mid-July. Since then we have been getting a lot of students." Talking about the concept of paid internship, GC Pandey adds, "This program has quite an affordable fee. Moreover, we also run a separate program in which five best students from each college are provided free training. But we can't train everyone for free."

Mahesh Pant, regional manager (trainee) for west at Bosch India, says, "The regular rate for internship at our organization is `750 per day. However, we try and give students as much respite as we can. Like, we charge `3,700 for a six-day program, and a 12-day training with us costs `5,000. Students are guided by experts and complete practical training is provided, which can never be provided free of cost. The organisation can't put in money from its own pocket."

So, do students also get any assistance in placement with companies? To which, Mahesh says, "Once a student is here, we are responsible for clearing their doubts in the subject. We don't provide a job guarantee in our company, but if the student is sincere we guide him/her in their future prospects."

Students approaching consultancy firms for paid internships

Rajesh Sharma*, owner of a consultancy firm, says, "An increasing number of students is opting for paid internship. We get numerous calls from students asking us for companies that are providing internships. They are willing to pay if they get to intern in a company even for a month, and are also ready to pay us in big amounts if we recommend them to a reputed firm. Many private firms have started charging from students for internship."

Akshay Sahu*, a management student at IMS, DAVV, remarks, "My seniors had told me that an internship certificate is important to get selected during placements, so I applied at a company for a month's training. They said that if I wanted to learn, they won't charge anything, but I'll have to work for them seriously for 45 days. And if I just wanted a certificate, they'll issue one for which I'll have to pay `3,000. Mujhe toh sirf certificate chahiye tha, itne din tak wahan roz kaun kaam karta. So, I paid them the amount and got a certificate with a letter of recommendation in marketing. As a bonus, they also suggested me the type of questions employers generally ask and the answers that I should prepare. It worked in my favour as the visiting HRs asked similar questions and I answered them confidently. I got selected with a good package."

So what if we have to pay? we get to learn

Students preparing for their placement interviews say an internship certificate gives them an upper hand among other students, and for that if they have to pay a fee, they're willing to do so. Ruchika Chaurasia, an engineering student, says, "I did my internship at a software company. They charged me `3,000 for teaching me basics of manufacturing industries. It was totally worth it, as I got real work exposure that I wouldn't have got sitting in my college. It also adds to your confidence when you face visiting companies during placement interviews."

Siddharth Randive, another engineering student who recently interned at BHEL, adds, "One of my seniors told me that a public-sector unit in Bhopal is providing internship on weekly chargeable basis. I applied there and paid `3,000 for a two-week training period. It was a learning experience. They gave me an assignment on steam turbine and I was asked to find out ways to increase the efficiency of the turbine and also help them rectify problems in its functioning. Considering the things that I got to learn during my internship, the amount they charged me was negligible. I'm glad I took it up."

Abhishek Agrawal, who is pursuing his diploma at Vaishnav Polytechnic, adds, "I'm an electronics student, and I wanted to intern in my core field. I applied at a national channel to get a first-hand experience of signal transmission. I also paid their internship fee `1,250, which hardly amounts to anything compared to the practical knowledge they gave me. They liked my work, and have told me to apply at their firm once I get my diploma. Mere toh poore paise wasool ho gaye!"

It's a waste of time and money: Displeased students

But not all students who take up these programs are happy. Some of them divulge that often the training given by organisations is not at an advanced level. Sonali Manore, a final-year student at LNCT (Lakshmi Narain College of Technology), rues, "I had paid `2,000 for a one-month training program at a government firm and I was disappointed with the way things were carried out there. There were around 60 students in one batch and apart from a two-day visit to the technical department; we just had to attend lectures. Aadhey se zyaada bachche toh class hi nahi attend karte thay. It was a sheer wastage of time and money. But since a training certificate is important, everyone sat through the entire course."

Sameer, another engineering student at Malwa Institute of Technology (MIT), says, "I had to pay `6,000 for a live project in Java at one of the best firms in the city. Although I got a good training in the subject, I had also expected some placement assistance from them. But that never happened. These days, companies are too professional to give personal attention to a trainee."

Original : indiatimes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment